Friday, July 20, 2012

How (Not) to change a tire.

I have changed many tires, and spare tires in my days, but this time it was way different.

Well, I went to go and put a spare on my Ford Explorer, and it had been flat for quite some time.

  So I got my Jack out of the back, and used one of my 5 spare tires.... Its kind of a long story how I ended up with 4 extra spares in the back but anyways.  I chose the spare with the best tread on it, and got to work. Using Pandora on my recently fixed Atrix 2, fyi.  

Basically I tried 4 different positions with the Jack , and I'm not sure what I was doing wrong, or did wrong, besides the Fact that I was trying to change the tire while on a rocky dirt surface.

Nothing was working.   Oh and every time I went to put the jack in a different spot, I had to use a couple of other spare tires as my "Jack Stands" to hold the car up.  

I finally went and read the instructions of where exactly to put the Jack, and I did that, but still couldn't get it high enough.

So I figured I could make the car go HIGHER, or make the ground go LOWER.  So I chose the harder of the two of course, and started digging out under the car...

After plenty of digging for about 15 minutes in way rocky soil, I finally got it deep enough to put the new tire on.  

So basically the Moral of this Post is that when you think you cant get something to work, THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX!!!  Either that or read the directions, but that's pretty hard to do sometimes.

-ACS

1 comment: