Monday, July 30, 2012

Replacing my rear brake pads on my Katana. (Don't tell my wife I used the sink)

Well first off, this wasn't supposed to take as long as it did.   My rear brakes had been out for a while now, as they were very very noisy, so basically I just trained myself to never use my rear brakes and only downshift, and us my front brakes.

I first watched a YouTube video once again about how to replace my rear brake pads.  So i got to work and started to it. 

But yes, my whole motorcycle is just a work in progress. as you can tell just from this picture, I still need a new mirror, (which I have fixed three times by now, FYI )  And all new leather for my seat. 



I covered The muffler with nothing other than a real large oven rag. 

Take the cap off the brake fluid reservoir, there is one for the rear brakes, and one for the front brakes. 


and then got to work.  Took the dust cover off

Took these little clips things out. 

Took the slider pins that hold the brake pads in place, and then the little clip spring for vibration reduction pops out and you have to find them on the floor.    Then slide out the other pin, and the brake pads come right out. 

This is one of the old brake pads.    This is ground down way way too far than it is supposed to be.   Never is it supposed to get down this far. 

Slide the other brake pad out


These are the new brake pads I got on Amazon.com for pretty cheap, and some brake lubricant


I tried for about 45 minutes trying to get the caliper to loosen up so that I could get the new brake pads to fit, but no luck.  So i had to figure out how to take the whole caliper off and had to clean it in my sink and then got it to retract so I could fit the new pads. 


So I take the caliper off...



uhh yeah,  its night-time by now.  and This is me putting everything back together. 


My wife got home and brought me brake fluid from an auto parts store, because I had to flush all of my old stuff out when I had to take the caliper off. 
 AND>>>>>>>>>>   I'm finished.  Lets hope It works in the morning when I have to get to work. (of course after I bled the brakes, and cleaned everything up.

Coming soon on the bike project, is new leather for my seat. 
***update  Pleather is now installed on seat, see here ****




No comments:

Post a Comment