Wednesday, August 1, 2012

How to reupholster motorcycle seat.

And here is my little project for the day!!!

suzuki, katana 750, new seatAfter

old, seat, suzuki, katana, 750, Before


Well, the seat was looking pretty shabby....but the finished product actually looks pretty good. Better than when I got the Bike.

And HERE is how I did it.

Well first off, I started by going to Jo-Ann's fabric store and look for the right fabric.   There weren't actually many choices , so the choice became very easy.  I heard that I needed to use fabric glue to first attach the fabric on, but that didn't end up working in the end.
Then I stopped by Walmart and got a Staple Gun and staples.   All of these cost me just over twenty dollars.
under, 20 dollars, walmart, Joann's pleather, glue, staples, staple gun,


I got the cheapest staple Gun they had, but kinda wish I would have gotten a better one, except this is the only project I could think of that I would ever use this for.

So I laid it out, after putting down some of the fabric glue to get it to stick a little bit more in the right places.
katana, 750, seat, reupholster,

 The Pleather all laid out in the right spot
fabric, pleather,

 Then I cut off the majority of the excess fabric just so that it was easier to work with. 
scissors, fabric, katana, seat

Starting stapling, while figuring how to pull it in the right places to not move it too much out of position, and trying to make sure there were no ugly folds on the sides. 
stapling, seat, katana, 750, suzuki


Continued Stapling....
seat, stapling


Now I'm getting to the hard part, where the seat goes down to the part where the driver actually sits.
stretching, pleather


And this is where the folding kept happening, and it was quite hard to figure this part out, but after enough stretching and stapling, and the undoing staples and re-stapling, I figured out how to make it so there were no fold in the fabric. 
stretching, pleather,  suzuki, motorcycle

I found an extra rag (that hopefully my wife doesn't notice is missing, i only used it cause there was only one in this color anyways) and cut it around the edge where some of the foam was missing. and then put the fabric over this and stapled it closed.
After I was done with all the minor adjustments, I the had a lot of extra fabric still on the bottom, so I cut that off

motorcycle, reupholster, how-to,

 Almost finished.....
seat, repair, leather, pleather
 More Cutting...
cutting, excess, pleather
 and viola,  It worked.

right side, katana, 750, suzuki

So basically if I were to do this all again,
  •  I wouldn't have bought the glue, 
  • I would have bought a little stronger staple gun, 
  • Tried to find a little bit thicker fabric Pleather, as I'm not sure if this will last more than a couple of years. 
Thanks for reading.
-ACS






1 comment:

  1. It´s a good homemade work. Congratulations and happy 2013

    ReplyDelete