Monday, August 27, 2012

Clutch pushrod broke? I didn't even know what that was until I fixed it

Well this here is the part that was really broken, when I thought my clutch cable had snapped.  Really this little part had snapped in two, and I have no idea how it happened either.  Online most of the places I found that talk about this say it happened because someones chain got old and the chained snapped while driving, or the other option is that someone was doing a wheelie and came down way too hard, and it put too much pressure on it, and it just snaps. 

This is the new part I got from Ebay, Used, for about 30 bucks. 

katana, 750, clutch, pushrod, 1994


And surprisingly this is actually how it came. In a used shredded cheese bag, with some cheese still left in it, all in a box.    Kinda.... awkward...
Marble Jack, Shredded, Cheese, Ebay, Paypal


So when I first started this project
tools, katana 750, black

Unscrewing and take off all the plastic ferrings, and the mirrors (I needed to replace the mirrors anyways, so I got new ones that I will put on later)

And everything is off, and its a pretty naked bike
naked, bike, suzuki, katana

And this is where the fun begins, I had to take this casing off of the clutch. It is also where the clutch cable was attached to.
clutch housing, casing, clutch, screws, katana 750

But as I took it off I realized the Clutch Cable was fine, and this random part was broken instead, which I didn't even know what it was. 
Broken clutch pushrod, suzuki, katana

If you couldn't see it, The screwdriver is pointing right to one end, and the casing still has the other end. But if you refer to the very first picture in this post, It is all supposed to be one piece. So I had it ordered, and then replaced It, and put everything back together backwards the way it came. 
clutch pushrod, suzuki

The hardest part of the whole thing was re-adjusting the clutch cable so it was back to normal. It is SO SO temperamental  and seemed like it had to be in exactly the right spot.  That's what that cable and nuts are at the top of this picture.  It took forever, and it killed my battery, so I had to jump start it with my wife's car. 
Clutch cable, adjustment, katana, 750


I also bought brand new chrome mirrors, that looked pretty good on the bike also, but still have to put the plastics back on, and that's why there is no picture for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment